1.16.2005

Speaking of Heather . . . Artichoke Dip

My previously mentioned friend Heather often makes this way fab Artichoke Dip for any sort of gathering. I usually hover around it, and when people ask me, in that friendly making party conversation kind of way people do, what I am eating, I snarl and tell them it is awful, please go away so I can eat all of the Artichoke Dip without having to feign politeness - it slows me down.

Heather has always tried to tell me that it is "super-easy" and hand over the recipe. Now that she is in Spain, I've been forced to listen. And it is super-easy. Insanely easy. It took, literally, 7 minutes to make. So now I will begin serving it at every shindig (mostly so I can eat it myself). And it is the kind of recipe, as long as you have two cans of artichokes, where most likely you have the rest of the ingredients in the house most of the time. The sort of last minute-company's-coming recipe that Ladies' Home Journal and Good Housekeeping are always trying to push. But good.

Heather's Artichoke Dip (and modifications, 'cuz I can't leave well enough alone)

2 cans artichokes (I used artichoke bottoms because I think they taste more 'choke-y, and they don't have any fiber issues. Although I have never experienced fiber issues in Heather's dip)
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup Parmesan cheese (she uses the fake-o stuff, I used real, both successful)
1 clove garlic (I used two, some strong purple German garlic, but what I really want to try is throwing a whole bulb of roasted garlic in there. I think that would be heavenly. But then it would have taken some planning ahead. And I was hungry.)
dash of Worcestershire

Puree everything together in a food processor or heavy duty blender. Serve warm, with slices of bread, crackers, tortillas, or my absolute favorite - homemade pita chips.

If you need a recipe for pita chips:
Preheat oven to 350°. Split pitas in half so that you have two thin rounds. Place on baking sheets, pita insides-up. Brush with olive oil; season with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Cut into triangles. Bake about 12 minutes. For this much artichoke dip, you'll need about 10 pitas.


No comments: