Great Hill Maple

It should be sugaring season, but with the weird winter we've had, most all the producers are off. No matter, the sugar shacks are open and in full swing. Although the Cilley family of Newmarket lost most of their trees a few years back, they still offer breakfast in season (and for a bit in the fall) on Sundays from 7-12.

The service is friendly, the atmosphere homey and quaint, what with the wood stoves providing all the heat and the chairs salvaged from a school a while back. But what sets this place apart is how great the food is.

Real maple syrup, plentiful pitchers of it, on every table. I always start with a donut, a homemade cake one served with a side of maple cream to slather on. Also highly recommended are the french toast (plenty moist), pancakes, and the baked beans. I really love these baked beans, with their strong maple flavor. New England breakfast at its best. I get them with kielbasa.

The only thing I don't like about this place is the coffee - it's weak and church-coffee-hour-like. But this is forgivable, because the rest of the experience makes up for it. I just try to drink my coffee before I get there . . .

Great Hill Maple
Hershey Lane
Newmarket
Sundays, 7-12 until Mother's Day

Comments

Anonymous said…
I know where I am headed this Sunday. Thanks for the tip Moxie!

-the mad farmer
Anonymous said…
I know where I am headed this Sunday. Thanks for the tip Moxie!

-the mad farmer

Popular Posts